Friday, November 9, 2012

Costco Samples

Sometimes when we go to Costco it seems like the sample people don't realize that it's not appropriate to offer food to a three year old, but usually they do.  There's also the response they give when you say, "we don't eat chicken/milk/bacon."  They give you that startled look like you must be insane.

Yesterday, on the other hand, I was pleased as punch with the sample people.

The first sample we saw was for Wholy Guacamole.  We love this product and it was served with vegan chips, so we all got a sample.  We decided to buy some.

Next, we saw a cheese sample.  My kids didn't even notice it, but when she offered me a sample and I said, "I don't eat cheese," she seemed a bit confused... Oh well.

The next sample was a smoothie, which poor Violet was very excited for, but I told her it had cow milk in it and she quickly turned away.

After that we saw a chicken sample.  She asked if it had cow milk and he said, "This is chicken."  He looked to me for confirmation as to wether or not she was allowed, but she just turned and walked away without another word.  She told me after we were away from the table that she doesn't eat chicken.  Correct.

The next sample was chicken broth, so when Violet asked what it was, and the woman told her, she again walked away, but said, "I don't eat chicken."  The woman was really nice and just said, "Oh, well then you better not eat this.  It has chicken in it."

We saw a salad in the following aisle, and I read the ingredients and gave her a sample.  She loved that and said thank you.  The sample guy smiled at the little girl who was so happy to get some salad.

With that yummy salad still in our minds, and the excitement of a vegan sample behind her, she approached another table and very excitedly asked, "This have cow milk?"  It was chili with cheese.
"That has cow meat and cow milk," I told her.  The woman working the table actually looked pleased that I wasn't going to feed it to my child and said, "That's right, there is cow and cow's milk in this.  You don't want that."  Violet didn't want that, and said as much, but then I spotted a hummus sample.

"HUMMUS HUMMUS HUMMUS!!! OH YUMMY!"  It's always easy to spot the vegan kid at Costco.

No comments:

Post a Comment