Friday, November 16, 2012

Teething Tablets

I lean toward the crunchy lifestyle.  The vegan granola stereotype tends to fit nicely.  So when my baby was teething, I got him some Hyland's Teething Tablets (no longer on the recall list, it's okay).

I forget.  I forget that I have to check EVERY label, and that "natural" products are not automatically vegan, and that most homeopathic products contain lactose because they are evil voodoo.  I mean, because lactose is a preservative (HOW?!  WHY?!  It doesn't preserve milk, which spoils in a matter of hours if left out!).

Anywho, I had gotten these tablets and was giving them to my son as I read the label (that's the wrong order to do that, FYI), and I stopped and said, "What?!  There's lactose in these!"  My husband guffawed in disgust as well, and when my daughter asked for one too, because her teeth suddenly hurt as well after we gave the baby fun candies out of the bottle, and I had to tell her that they had cow milk.

This was all several months ago.  Then I found Humphrey's lactose-free teething tablets and we've been right as rain ever since (other than the four molars assauting my son currently and the canine that is looking like it can't wait it's turn).

Today, as I was giving him a teething tablet, my daughter gave me a stern look and took one out of my hand to hold directly in front of my face, "Do these have cow milk in them, Mommy?"

Thankfully, I was able to say no, because I don't know what she would have done to me if she found out I gave her baby cow milk again.

No comments:

Post a Comment